Sport Massage can be used for the general relaxation of the musculoskeletal system as well as being directed into local problem areas, thereby reducing pain and improving recovery. Sports massage can help increase blood flow to the lymphatic system, improve circulation, relieve pain and aid relaxation to enable quicker recovery from high training loads. Sports Massage also helps towards preventing further injury. You don’t have to be a sports person to benefit from sports massage.
Sports massage can be divided into three categories;
- pre event/training, this is to refresh the legs and make sure they are ready for your event, a lighter sports massage than maintenance.
- post event/training, this is use to help you recover from a big event, enabling you to get back to training and stuck into your next training block.
- maintenance, a typical time frame for maintenance sports massage is anywhere between 2-5weeks. This depends on your training load and structure. Having a maintenance appointment reduce the chance of injury and helps to keep any niggles at bay. It can also highlight if you have any weak/overworked areas, which could an suggest imbalance that may need addressing in your training.
Benefits of regular sports massage
- Reduce the chance of a niggle becoming an injury
- Increased mobility and flexibility
- Reduce muscle tightness and pain
- Having regular massage can help you sleep better
- Massage increases blood flow to the muscles, which increases the amount of oxygen to the muscles and helps with recovery.